Senior citizens and those who have had hip or knee surgery may need a grab bar, particularly for their showering needs. This is basically a handy attachment in your shower area that allows you to stand up or sit down with ease. Moreover, these best grab bars for shower are readily applicable in the washroom. However, many customers are indecisive when it comes to the quality and durability of these products. Hence, we reviewed the products on the market and picked up the best grab bars for shower for you.
Our Picks for Grab Bars for Shower
- Our Picks for Grab Bars for Shower
- Types of Grab Bars for Showers
- Why Senior Citizens may need Grab Bars for Showers?
- How do You Install a Shower Grab Bar?
- Where to Put Grab Bars in the Shower?
- Some Frequently Asked Questions about Grab Bars for Shower
- Review of Shower Grab Bars
Types of Grab Bars for Showers
Generally, there are three types of grab bars and all have their unique qualities and weak points. Here, they are:
- Well-Mounted Grab Bars: They offer the utmost in stability since they fixate on the wall at both ends. Also, any position is suitable for these grab bars.While, some customers may want them to be vertically installed, others prefer a horizontal attachment. It is all dependent upon the client’s objectives.
- One-Sided Attachable Grab Bars: These are affixed onto a hinge on the wall. When they are not used, they sit idle in a passive state against the wall. So, the moment you need it, just pull one to activate it into action.
- Sheltering Grab Bars: These best grab bars for shower lend access to the most valuable services for senior citizens who need to sit down as well as stand up ( Try a sit to stand lift or a transfer pole to help you stand up). They also act from both directions. In fact, they look like the side jambs on a chair.
Why Senior Citizens may need Grab Bars for Showers?
A decade ago, grab bars were only found in old age homes, hospitals, and especially nursing facilities. They were also quite grotesque to gaze at, but the times have not remained the same.
Today, they are not only stylish and neat but are even found in five-star hotels and chateaus. For the most part, the best grab bars for showers cater to senior citizens who find sitting and standing up an uphill task ( A bathtub transfer bench can help you to get in and out of bathtub as well). Thus, such people can just latch onto some of the best grab bars for shower listed in this article and they are good to go.
Above all, it is essential that the grab bar ought to be able to support 250 pounds of weight. You don’t want the grab bar to come off at the slightest of an increase in weight, thereby, causing a nasty fall.
Since old people are frail and do not have great grip strength so, only the best grab bars for showers will do for them. Hence, you should not only go for stylish ones but also keep performance in mind when buying one.
How do You Install a Shower Grab Bar?
Well, it all begins with a short survey of your bathing area. So, go into it without the water turned on and see whether sitting and standing in it is convenient for you. The best grab bars for showers will be affixed where you have a habit of descending as well as ascending.
Moreover, find your comfort zone, and, see whether the shower grab bar installation is upright, sideways or in an oblique manner. One that is 16-inches is ideal for the space inside the shower area.
You can also attach longer grab bars with studs so that the whole arrangement is safe and secure. The shower grab bar installation requires a few steps which include making mounting sites on the wall, accordingly.
Hence, after marking the positions, use a drill to make holes in the wall and then drive the mounting screws into the wall. Finally, smoothly maneuver the grab bar over the mounts and test to see if the grab bar has any tensile strength in it. Thus, with your shower grab bar installation complete, you are good to go.
You can check this video to know better about how to install grab bars for showers:
Where to Put Grab Bars in the Shower?
The ideal space to put grab bars is in the entry to the shower or tub. This allows you to go into and leave the area with convenience. A vertical setting is best. A mini grab bar is the best option here.
If you happen to be taller, then a longer grab bar is a better choice. In the region, where to put grab bars in the shower is dependent upon greater stability; oblique grab bars allow you to sit down with ease.
Some Frequently Asked Questions about Grab Bars for Shower
- Is there a special function that shower grab bars possess?
They allow you to maintain an even gait when entering and exiting a shower. You will not fall provided you hold onto one. Where to put grab bars in a shower is a crucial question indeed.
- Which is the best model to buy in the market?
It ultimately depends on the usage you put it to. A fixed bar will take your weight, but a removable one won’t do that.
- How many are ought to be bought?
Well, the average number that is bought by customers amounts to two. One is affixed at the entrance and the other is installed inside the shower area.
- Does size matter?
Yes, and there are two things to keep in mind when selecting the dimensions. They are how you grip it and its length.
- Is a non-slip model better in the long run?
It would be preferable to the ordinary variety. The deep ridges in it allow for better grip.
- Are designer models a worthier choice?
They are not bad provided you are willing to part with some extra cash.
- Will grab bars be suitable for other regions in my home?
Why not? You may install one of these best grab bars for showers in your kitchen or even in your bedroom if you prefer to.
Review of Shower Grab Bars
1. Changing Lifestyles Bath & Shower Handle
It is basically a suction cup tool that is affixed onto a flat, smooth surface. Therefore, if there are any grooves or protuberances on the tiles, it won’t stick. This device must be placed on the wall again before reusing it.
Also, it won’t necessarily bear one’s whole body weight. Moreover, the suction force works through the tab levers on both ends.
You should scrape off the excess mold from the walls of the shower area and then attach this shower grab bar. Additionally, this is best done with a solution of white vinegar.
- Works perfectly without a hitch
- You can pull it apart and clean it at a moment’s notice
- Easy to affix as well as pull off
- Functions well for senior citizens
- You will need to double check it before using it
- Tiles need cleaning and recleaning
- Takes a bit of getting practice to keep both handles on the wall
2. Vive Suction Grab Bar
To begin with, it gets installed without the need for any extra tools. Moreover, the grip bar is comfy and will not slip from your hands no matter what. The curved design also allows a lot of grip room for your convenience.
Furthermore, you may affix it in the shower or bathtub area and it won’t prove damaging to the surface area. Particularly, this is one of the best grab bars for showers and is made of very tensile stuff since it can support more than 300 pounds.
Also, it comes with a two-month guarantee. During this time span, you may return it if you find it not up to par.
- Works well on hygienic and smooth surfaces
- Good for Alzheimer’s patients who give caregivers a difficult time in the shower
- The suction cups are large enough to adhere well to the walls
- Does not tolerate the least amount of roughness on the surface to which it is affixed
- Some clients claim that it falls off easily
3. Changing Lifestyles Balance Assist Bar
Make your bathroom safe as well as secure through this special grab bar. There is no danger of any slippage due to this bar’s ergonomic design. Generally, the tabs must be handled, and the thing latches onto the wall.
Additionally, no matter how much water or soap is attached to the walls, it works just fine. It is basically a Mommy’s Helper device that allows mothers to bathe their toddlers with relative ease.
Tiles are the ideal surface, but wood is not the best option for this grab bar since it functions via pure suction force. Some customers said that they keep falling off, but this is a rare occurrence.
- May be employed on shower walls
- Can be installed in a few easy steps
- Possesses a safe grip
- Best for those with Multiple Sclerosis
- It is non-functional on parched walls
- Works only for balance support and does not carry excess weight
4. Moen 16-Inch Grab Bar with Shelf
This product possesses a lovely streamlined design and it fits well on ceramic as well as porcelain tiles. Above all, it is a solid piece of art that is composed of sturdy stuff.
An especially great bar that looks fantastic in the shower area. There is a plastic insert part that comes for the tray, thereby, making it appear to be very cool. The product is so close to the wall that it does not hinder the movements of the user. Offers a great deal of help to those who need to put their shower products on the tray that is a part of it.
- Possesses a chrome finish
- The parts are 100% authentic
- Can be affixed with relative ease
- Can bear up to 250 pounds
- Chrome plating is meager and brass material shows through it
- No way for the excess water to drain off from the tray
5. Moen 30-Inch Flip-Up Bathroom Grab Bar
It provides a fully safe as well as a balanced holding area. Also, this product comes with a built-in toilet paper holder section. This tool can be folded as per need, accordingly.
Once a user folds it then there are no hindrances or impediments in the way of the user. Moreover, it is a lasting object and its performance is top notch. In addition, it comes in two sparkling exteriors which include a glacier finish and a stainless-steel finish.
Thus, this will be a very stylish addition to your washroom. Although the warranty may have a limit, this product is likely to last a long time. In conclusion, it’s a versatile device that can be used almost anywhere.
- Has a special stainless-steel finish
- Can support a whopping 500 pounds of weight
- Could be easily installed
- Has a limited warranty
- Some customers found the installation a little bit complicated
- Many find it to be different from the design shown on the site
6. Moen Home 12-Inch Bathroom Grab Bar
In brief, it is a cool as well as a highly utilitarian grab bar that requires drilling at just one hole per end. While the brand name is one to be trusted with eyes closed, its hardware is made in a foreign country.
Many used it in a jacuzzi and it worked just fine so, no falls or slips are possible with this device. Also, it comes in a range of sizes for all sorts of people.
Additionally, those having epileptic seizures may benefit immensely from this product. However, some customers said that the screws were not up to the mark.
- It has a nickel finish that looks hot and attractive.
- Package contains authentic Moen parts
- Offers true security for your bathroom
- Versatile and meant for showering, bathing and using the commode
- Must be screwed onto studs on a shower wall for added security
- Customers had complaints regarding the hardware which proved to be faulty
7. Medical Adjustable Bathtub Safety Rail Shower Grab Bar Handle
This grab bar is perfect for seniors who may suffer occasional falls in the bathtub since it has a tensile locking system that makes it safe and secure. Children and adults may employ it too besides senior citizens.
Composed of a single frame that works like magic, it is dual purpose since both lefties, as well as right-handed people, can use it. However, it is not ideal for fiberglass surfaces and that point must be kept in mind. Like this style of grab bars? You can consider buying a toilet safety rails for elderly.
- The perfect thing for complete bathroom safety
- Constructed of durable stuff that can support 300 pounds of pressure
- Fits easily on the wall and needs no extra tools for its installation
- Featherweight and possesses compact dimensions
- Could separate the tub from the tile area as some customers found to their dismay
- Must be checked often since it may come loose
The Bottom Line
Finally, those were the best grab bars for shower that you can find in the market. It is ultimately your decision which one you want to buy for your washroom so, make the choice with care and caution since you don’t want to fall by default. Hopefully, it will last you a lifetime!
Last update on 2019-06-15 at 14:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Nothing on this site should be construed as medical advice. This website is for informational purposes only. Mobilitywithlove.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk and affiliated sites. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.