When people come to choose a walking cane they don’t give it much thought. They think that it is not imperative which is not true at all. They should need to pay special attention to choose the best walking canes as they are available in several styles, sizes, and shapes and you can choose according to your requirement or choices. To make the right selection you have to prefer your needs for which purpose you are going to buy it.
A right one can help you to keep your balance by enhancing your walking abilities. They can also help to reduce your weakness as well as back pain by providing you great support. They are ideal for assisting with aiding or balance in your walking after a surgery or serious kind of injury as well.
In this article, we are going to provide you a great guide that will help you to know where and how you can use it. Also, learn about the 6 best walking canes by continuing the reading.
Our Picks for Best Walking Canes
- Our Picks for Best Walking Canes
- Things to Consider for Choosing a Walking Cane:
- Benefits of using a Walking Cane:
- How to Effectively Use a Walking Cane?
- Best Walking Canes Reviews
Things to Consider for Choosing a Walking Cane:
There are significant things you need to consider while choosing a perfect walking cane for you or your loved ones:
- Ensure the Height:
Height is one of the imperative things to consider while purchasing a walking cane. Majority of the canes contain the small pin that will allow you to make some adjustments. After making an adjustment the cane’s top should rest just below the hip. It will allow the user to correctly grasp it while slightly bending down your elbow that can protect your shoulders, wrist as well as neck from pain.
So you have to choose a cane with a proper height to get great comfort and safe and easy movement. A cane that is higher than your height or smaller can become a cause of some serious health issues.
- High-Quality Material:
Material is another important thing to consider when choosing a perfect walking cane. You just need to make sure that the cane that you are choosing is reliable and last for a long time. Choosing a high quality and durable material will help you to avoid any kind of health issues. It can reduce the risk of any damage or even protect your cane to break easily. The materials used to make walking canes include steel, aluminum, and carbon fiber.
- The Tip of Cane:
Tip of the cane is all about its better floor surface and traction. The rubber tip can provide you, even more, better grip on the floor and allow you to stay stable without sliding. If you need more support, you can select a quad cane.
- The Grip of Cane:
Comfort is a key factor that you may prefer while trying best walking canes for the elderly. You can get a cane with different grips such as foam grip, wooden grip or ergonomic gel grip that you can choose according to your comfort level. We will recommend you to first try the grip by holding it and by walking, so in this way, you may know that which one is better for you.
- Choose a Walking Cane According to Your Style:
Some people, who are using the walking cane on a daily basis, love to add some style that can reflect their personality. Walking canes are available in several colors, shapes, sizes, and material. You can even choose different styles according to different occasions and styles for daily use. However, you should put the function at first if you have mobility issues.
- Your Mobility Ability
You should always consider your own balance and stability ability before making a purchase. As you know, a walking cane is suitable for people with small to moderate mobility issues. If you have severer mobility problems, you may consider using a walker or a wheelchair instead.
Benefits of using a Walking Cane:
There are best walking canes in the market that you can use for different purposes according to your needs. Here we are going to tell you about some most important benefits of using these canes.
- Good Workout For you:
In walking, you may involve most of your legs and lower back movement instead of shoulders and arms. But with the help of a walking cane, you can typically activate the other parts of your body such as arms and shoulders.
- Best for Joints Problem:
For the elders sometimes it is really difficult to walk comfortably because of back, knees or other joints issues. So choosing the best walking canes for the elderly can help them to get rid of these issues. It will help to control your weight and provide a perfect balance while walking. It can help to distribute your weight so in this way you will not put much pressure on the sensitive areas of your body parts.
- Convenient to Use:
It’s another great benefit of using this product. Walking canes are light in weight and you may carry it easily wherever and whenever you want. There are some best folding walking canes that will allow you to fold them whenever you want to go anywhere, it will also double up your convenience level. These canes are easy to fit in suitcases, large handbags, and backpacks that are really great for you to travel. If you want to sit down sometimes, you can opt for a cane with a seat as well.
How to Effectively Use a Walking Cane?
There are several best walking canes for the elderly and for youngsters that they can use for some health issues. Once you choose a perfect walking cane, you have to know how to use it in a better way to get some useful advantages. Here we are going to give you some tips to use a walking cane in an appropriate way.
- Take safety precautions from your doctor or other medical professionals before using a cane
- Hold a walking cane on the unaffected side in so that it can provide you great support for the opposite lower limb.
- Don’t put all of your unnecessary weight on the cane.
- Move your stronger leg first.
- To climb the stairs while using a walking cane you should hold the railing from one of your free hand.
- When you will go downstairs then first you have to lower your cane, followed by your leg which is affected and then moves your leg which is unaffected.
Best Walking Canes Reviews
1. Medline Offset Handle Cane
Medline Offset Handle Cane is one of the best walking canes for seniors and patients. It is available with a locking ring that will ensure the user that there is no rattling sound that you will hear while using this walking cane. In addition, you can adjust the height to accommodate your needs.
This walking cane can hold up to 250lbs. They are perfect for them that provide a great balance. The offset handle design of the cane helps you to control your weight with the sturdiest part of this cane. This part will ensure that your weight is concentrated on it. It will also ensure that the cane will never break down just because of the improper balance or use.
This cane comes with a black color which makes it the best canes for men.
- Due to its lock ring features, you will never hear any kind of noise that may irritate you
- The height is adjustable
- Due to its offset design, the height of a person will usually be centered on the cane’s firmest areas.
- Provides you great security while locking up the ring
- This cane comes with stickers on it which are really unpleasant for the people who really love the simplicity and it is hard to remove.
2. Switch Sticks Aluminum Adjustable Folding Cane and Walking Stick
This is one of the best folding walking canes that you can use with great convenience. These beautiful and color patterns on the canes could make you look more attractive. This is why this cane is the favorite for women.
This folding stick can be adjusted easily from 32 to 37 inches that can fit for most of the people. The lightweight material ensures that it is portable and perfect for traveling.
It is made with a real wood handle that provides a great grip and stable balance for walking.
- Easily adjustable and foldable that you can carry easily where ever you want.
- The slip resistance of this cane is another best advantage of using this walking cane. It contains on rubber tip that will allow the cane to stay stable on the floor.
- Maintain and improve your balance.
- It will allow you to store it where ever you want.
- The pattern will fade easily.
3. Ez2care Adjustable Folding Quad Cane
If you are looking for a lightweight cane for balance and stability, this quad cane from Ez2care will not let you down. This product is made from the aluminum alloy. The weight of Ez2care Quad cane is only about 1.34 pounds. It is also one of the best folding walking canes that provide a great adjustment from 29 to 37 inches.
It is perfect for every person to use. Its handle is made from the foam that provides a strong and comfortable grip. You can bring it both in your right or left hand. Besides, this walking stick can be easily folded.
As a quad cane, the tip of the cane is also great that enhance your balance as well as stability while walking.
- Provide a great balance and stability
- Ergonomic foam to grip
- Provide an adjustment from 29 to 37 inches
- Sometimes it is really difficult to fold it easily
4. Vive Folding Cane
This is another best walking canes that are great for both men and women. It’s a cane which is specially designed for the people who love to travel. This cane is made from the material of premium grade aluminum and its weight is only 15.8 ounces that you can easily carry. The folding cane can fit into a backpack, carry or even in a bag while traveling.
It provides great support for your body parts. It contains on an anti-slip rubber tip that will allow you to get a stable and proper balance on the floor surface. If you want to get more support, you can add a tripod or quad-tip on it.
It is also best for the average or tall size persons such as a person with 6 feet height can also carry this cane. It can also support more than 250 pounds of weight. It comes in purple, matte black and teal blue colors that are really stylish.
In addition, it is a great choice if you are on a budget.
- Lightweight and easy to fold and carry anywhere you want
- Its aluminum frame provides great durability and supports to control the balance
- You can add a tripod or quad cane tip on it easily.
- It is adjustable and its length is from 33 to 37 inches.
- Best for both medium or taller height people
- Not suitable for a short man.
5. Hugo Adjustable Quad Cane
The Hugo adjustable quad cane is considered one of best walking canes that provide you great comfort while walking.
It is a great choice if you are looking for a bariatric cane (see also our picks for heavy duty wheelchair and 4 wheels bariatric walker). It can provide great support for people with up to 300 pounds weight. The k shapes handle of this walking cane provides even more stability rather than any other walking cane.
This walking cane contains on a cushion-top handle which will help you reduce fatigue. The reflective strap that provides you safety at night just like the toilet light in the bathroom. It is great for the use of people with a height between 5 to 6.5 inches and you can adjust the height at 11 levels by simply pushing the buttons. It is made from a high-quality aluminum material which is durable and can last for a long time.
- Versatile and durable to use
- The handle is really comfortable to hold and put the necessary weight over it
- The quad cane base can provide more stability
- Best to use in both left or right hand
- The height of the walking cane is adjustable
- Its weight is a bit heavier to carry as compared to other lightweight walking canes.
- It is not foldable and portable.
6. Posture Cane Campbell Foldable Walking Cane for Men and Women
This is a great and unique walking cane that you may never find. It helps you to walk even more upright so you can easily look forward instead of looking here and there or down to maintain your balance. It is not only a good choice for the elderly but for young people who love to go hiking.
It features a revolutionary handle that provides you wrist and shoulders a great comfort level and you can use it when you want to stand up from bed, recliner or massage chair. Its high-quality rubber tip provides great traction on the floor surface while using the cane.
It also has a great feature of 12 different adjustments for the height that is best for the person with height 5 to 6.2 inches.
- Provide ease for the back pain
- Easy to adjust and use
- Light in weight that you can carry easily
- Change your posture and line of sight
- Sometimes the handle of this cane hurts and grained your hand
- It not self-standing
After reading about these best walking canes we’re sure that now you are able to choose the right one for you. This article will not only help you to make a perfect selection but it can also help you to use the walking cane even more effectively and safe.
Last update on 2019-08-22 at 22:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Nothing on this site should be construed as medical advice. This website is for informational purposes only. Mobilitywithlove.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk and affiliated sites. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.