Many seniors find themselves scouting the adult diaper section at a grocery store over time. It’s hard to deal with, but incontinence issues can happen to anyone. That said, incontinence is more often seen in seniors. Buying adult diapers for yourself or for someone you love and care about can be quite challenging and overwhelming for people.
If you are suddenly put in a position where you have to buy adult diapers for elderly people, it’s best to take a deep breath, realize that it’s normal and natural, and do the appropriate research to find the right diaper brand. The various designs, colors, price tags and more are enough to leave you confused.
With this article, you should be able to learn the different criteria and products you need to know about so you can choose from one of the best diapers for seniors.
Our Picks For Best Adult Diapers For Elderly
If you want to buy the product directly, you can click the table. We still suggest you to read our in-depth review and buyer’s guide before purchasing.
- Our Picks For Best Adult Diapers For Elderly
- What is a senior diaper?
- Why do seniors need adult diapers?
- What to consider when buying diapers for the elderly
- Best Diapers for Seniors – Product Reviews
- 1. Tranquility Premium OverNight Disposable Absorbent Underwear
- 2. Abena Abri-Flex Premium Protective Underwear
- 3. Swimmates Disposable Adult Swim Diapers
- 4. ConfiDry 24/7 Dry Care Max Absorbency Adult Brief Diapers
- 5.Attends Advanced Protective Underwear
- 6. LivDry Protective Underwear
- 7. MoliCare Mobile Underwear
What is a senior diaper?
A senior diaper or an adult diaper is one that is designed for an individual with a body bigger than that of an infant or child. There are many different types, including:
- Briefs – These diapers have tabs on their sides. They can be designed:
- With cloth-like backing: the majority of briefs come with cloth backing since it makes less noise compared to the plastic backing.
- With plastic backing: this isn’t usually preferred because of the noise it makes while you’re moving.
- With refastenable tabs: the tabs that can be removed and refastened repeatedly. Many top-tier briefs come with such tabs.
- With non-refastenable tabs: these briefs cannot be repeatedly fastened, and many people opt for them since they are more reasonably priced.
- For overnight use: these are designed bulkier and with a higher level of absorption so they can be worn at night. People don’t usually use overnight briefs during the day, but people with severe incontinence can wear them for the extra absorbency. Overnight briefs are usually bulkier in size.
- For day use: briefs with heavy, moderate, or light labels are designed for day use. They are less bulky and absorbent.
- As bariatric: These briefs are made with larger waistbands for plus-sized people and come in different sizes and brands.
- Pull-ups – These diapers pull on like underwear without any tabs. This is ideal for bathroom use and for elders with dementia. Some pull-ups can come with refastenable tabs for those who prefer them.
- Reusable Adult Diapers – These diapers can be washed and dried like regular clothes. They can be designed for light incontinence with a pad inside or can be made for overnight incontinence, so you get different products with various absorbance levels. Although they are more expensive, they save you the costs of disposable products in the long run.
- Belted Undergarments – These diapers come with a belt that has an absorbent patch attached.
- Fecal Incontinence Products – These diapers are designed to deal with both urinary and fecal incontinence.
- Swim Diapers – These diapers protect against fecal incontinence while swimming.
Why do seniors need adult diapers?
A common problem most seniors face is bladder incontinence, while some experience bowel incontinence as well. For elderly individuals with severe incontinence, medications can become less effective with old age ( A lot of seniors will lose hearing with age as well, hearing aids will help you out) , so they have to face problems with their lack of control.
Most seniors have to deal with unpleasant odors or wet beds. Some senior citizens have to plan trips and events to keep close to a restroom and avoid any accidents. They may also start wearing clothes to hide their stains.
Adult diapers can offer a great solution for many seniors with this issue. You should consult your loved ones to consider adult diapers when incontinence starts to affect their daily schedule, and no medication or treatment is helping control the problem.
What to consider when buying diapers for the elderly
There are many aspects consider when buying diapers for the elderly and seniors.
Pick a diaper that absorbs and retains liquid. Absorbency and leakage protection are necessary for the best diapers for seniors.
Choose one that is the perfect fit and is comfortable to wear. If senior diapers don’t fit the individuals properly or snugly, it can result in leakage or discomfort.
An adult diaper should neutralize odor. Most designs and types of adult diapers have an absorbent component that can suppress odors, although the neutralizing effectiveness can vary with each brand and product.
Consider your personal requirements. A light pad can offer ample protection for mild incontinence, while regular old people diapers can work effectively if changed with each use. For people with severe incontinence or who are looking for a single-use diaper, premium brands are the better choice.
Choose a diaper that suits your clothing. While premium brands are the most effective, they can also be heavier. This isn’t a problem for people who wear loose clothing, but a less absorbent product for simpler use will be better hidden under tighter clothing.
Adult diapers should be easy to use. Pull-ups are easier to wear and take off than adult briefs, which have to be refastened after each bathroom trip. (Higher toilet will make seniors feel more comfortable.)
Choose the right backing. Plastic backing is better at trapping moisture and odor. That said, it can be noisier when people move in it. Some diapers for elderly people come with colored backing, which can be seen through lighter-colored clothes.
Check for price value. The cost of adult diapers differs with retailer, quantity, and size. While most brands aren’t expensive, buying in bulk can lower the overall cost.
Best Diapers for Seniors – Product Reviews
1. Tranquility Premium OverNight Disposable Absorbent Underwear
With a maximum absorption capacity of 34 ounces, the Tranquility Premium Overnight Disposable Absorbent Underwear is the ideal diaper for overnight and long-term use, making it one of the best diapers for old age.
The standing leak guards and leg gathers manage great leakage control for those a major issue for seniors that toss and turn during the night. The Tranquility Underwear comes with tear-away side seams to help make wearing and taking the diaper off a breeze. Moreover, it features a cloth backing so that you don’t have to worry about any crinkling noises any time you move.
The fabric is comfy and breathable, making it great for sleeping at night and moving around throughout the day. Some elders to find it difficult to find the right size for themselves, so trial and error becomes necessary with the underwear.
The product’s remarkable inner core traps odors effectively. The underwear comes with Tranquility’s patented “Peach Mat” design that has a super-absorbent composition to effectively absorb urine, prevent wet rashes or leaks, and control odors.
The inner core neutralizes urine pH so you don’t have to worry about any bacterial or fungal growth that can damage your skin or cause bad odors. In terms of effectiveness and odor removal, this product is definitely one of the best diapers for seniors.
- Holds a maximum of 34 ounces of liquid
- Soft, breathable fabric
- Tear-away side seams for easy removal
- Various sizes
- Sizing can be inaccurate
2. Abena Abri-Flex Premium Protective Underwear
The Abena Abri-Flex Premium Protective Underwear is available in different sizes and absorption levels, reaching a high absorption capacity of 74 ounces. This makes the underwear a great alternative for everyday use if users suffer from mild to moderate incontinence.
The public reviews for the different sizes and absorbency levels are fairly positive, with people complimenting their discreetness, absorption and leakage protection. To put it simply, the Abena Abri-Flex adult pull-ups are easy to use and comfortable to wear. They can be used like regular underwear, and the elastic waistband and crotch offer complete comfort throughout the day.
Similar to the Tranquility Premium Overnight Underwear, the Abena Abri-Flex offers tear-away side-seams making it easy to wear and take off. The underwear’s core material also minimizes the risk of bad odors.
The underwear has an advanced super-absorbent design securely absorbs fluids to stop the release of any unnecessary smells. With such amazing design, odor control and comfort, the Abena Abri-Flex Premium Protective Underwear is one of the ideal old people diapers.
- Cloth-like backing for noise control
- Breathable and soft design
- Great absorbency
- Easy to remove and put on
- Not designed for severe incontinence
3. Swimmates Disposable Adult Swim Diapers
Swimmates’ Disposable Adult Swim Diapers are the perfect solution for any senior’s swimming needs. These unisex diapers are quiet and slim enough to be worn under swimwear. With the additional safeguards and inner leg cuffs, they are able to secure fecal incontinence so you don’t have to worry about any accidents while swimming.
The diapers have a full-panel waistband to give an easy and comfortable fit for heavier people. The latex-free pull-up comes with tear-away sides to make disposal easy. Swimmates’ Disposable Adult Swim Diapers are made for one-time use so they can be easily taken off and conveniently thrown away after swimming.
The underwear hugs the body perfectly so you can have a worry-free swim while looking your best. With its simple design, fecal incontinence protection, and latex-free design, you can see why people consider the Swimmates’ Disposable Adult Swim Diapers as one of the best senior diapers.
- Works for both urinary and fecal incontinence
- Easy to remove and dispose
- Full coverage protection
- Not waterproof
- Only for one-time use
4. ConfiDry 24/7 Dry Care Max Absorbency Adult Brief Diapers
The ConfiDry Adult Brief Diapers have a fit that is both comfortable and accurate. Their Dry Care design makes them some of the most absorbent underwear you can own. The one drawback that comes with the high absorbency is the underwear’s bulky design, as well as the noisy plastic backing that comes with it. This makes it a less likable option for elders looking for subtlety and dignity when they go out for events.
Because of its high absorbency, the ConfiDry briefs are ideal for overnight use. The underwear comes with a three-dimensional core absorbency design that offers an amazing absorbency of about 3 liters. Its unique leak control feature offers the ideal protection for overnight use and also protects against skin rashes or chafing. In addition, the briefs come with refastenable tabs for ease of use and convenience.
If you’re looking for the best diapers for old age to deal with heavy incontinence or long-term use of 10 or more hours, then look no further than the Dry Care ConfiDry 24/7 Adult Brief Diapers. These diapers are considered one of the best old people diapers in terms of absorbency, and users applaud their comfort and effectiveness.
- An absorption capacity of 3 liters
- Easy-to-use tabs
- Great for overnight use
- Ideal for heavy incontinence
- Plastic backing is noisy
5.Attends Advanced Protective Underwear
The Attends Advanced Protective Underwear is a unisex product, offering full protection against heavy and severe urinary and fecal incontinence. These briefs provide the extra benefit of comfort and breathability to protect and shelter your skin, which is especially important in situations where buyers have sensitive skin or mobility issues.
Attends Extra Absorbent Breathable Underwear is designed to give great absorption and trap all liquids effectively. Its triple-tier moisture locking system involves cellulose fibers, a microporous acquisition layer, and super-absorbent polymer, all of which together offer higher levels of absorbency while simultaneously handling skincare and odors.
The Attends Advanced Protective Underwear are made to provide comfort and secure protection. Their Air-comfort side panels provide an air flow which makes them more breathable than many other products in the same price range. They also come with a soft, cloth-like inner and outer lining to give maximum comfort, subtlety and skin protection.
The underwear is a great fit for elders with frequent incontinence. It is ideal for elders with severe skin and comfort issues. For individuals needing a little extra moisture protection, Attends Advanced Protective Underwear seem to be the best senior diapers.
- Triple-tier moisture locking system
- Similar to regular underwear
- Leg opening is a bit too large
6. LivDry Protective Underwear
The LivDry Protective Underwear is designed to manage overnight incontinence issues. When elders face problems with their bladder control, these old people diapers provide leg barriers that keep the liquids from leaking out.
Most people enjoy the underwear’s absorbent core that is made to handle heavy-duty problems and leakage accidents. The core is made of a gel material that rapidly sucks up any unneeded and uncomfortable moisture. The core is also able to trap any bad odors and it keeps the liquid securely trapped to prevent any skin issues or irritation.
The underwear’s stretch panels hug the user’s body to give a personalized ideal fit, and its tear-away sides make it easy to wear and take off, all while giving the best overnight protection. LivDry Protective Underwear comes at a great price value considering it is the ideal everyday solution for incontinence in old age.
The diaper products are available in a range of sizes and come with a leak barrier cuff to give you added protection against any heavier leaks as well. Made from a comfy, cotton-like material, the LivDry Protective Underwear is definitely one of the best diapers for seniors.
- Ample padding
- Quality coverage against leaks
- Contour fit
- Can feel hot with extended use
7. MoliCare Mobile Underwear
MoliCare Mobile Light Protective Underwear is perfect for seniors with active lifestyles and offers a discreet solution for moderate to severe urinary incontinence. The core features a triple-layer for rapid absorption to dispel fluid away from your skin so you can stay dry all the time.
The MoliCare Mobile Light diapers use super-absorbent polymers to trap and neutralize both acidic and alkaline liquids, minimizing the release of any unpleasant odors and also securing skincare efficiently. The absorption core essentially makes use of a soft top layer of flexible, trim-fit material as well as a cloth-like waterproof outer layer.
The underwear is comfy, lightweight, and subtle to wear while simultaneously giving maximum incontinence protection. You can wear them just like standard underwear. Simply pull on and off when needed, so if you have any accidents you can just use the tear-away side seams to clean up and use again.
The Molicare Underwear is a premium disposable product for moderate to severe incontinence, so if you’re looking for some effective diapers for old age, this is one of the best diapers for seniors.
- Does not separate and clump after extended use
- Elastic waistband offers natural fit
- Leg cuffs and gathers for secure leakage protection
- Leg gathers aren’t as fitting
If you’re looking for one of the best diapers for seniors that offer high absorbency for both overnight or extended use as well as ease of use and subtlety, the Tranquility Premium Overnight Underwear is our top pick. With its “Peach Mat” technology, you can do no better for incontinence and odor control in a great price value.
Last update on 2019-09-16 at 08:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Nothing on this site should be construed as medical advice. This website is for informational purposes only. Mobilitywithlove.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk and affiliated sites. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.