Fitness is highly needed to live a healthy and productive life. Even when growing old you should never compromise on the fitness. Some aged folks do exercises to be able to walk smoothly or to retain balance. It is often suggested that in order to be better at walking you should practice walking. Walking can be done in any place either on the street or on the treadmill. You can find the best treadmill for seniors and work your way to fitness.
Our Picks for Best Treadmills for Seniors
- Our Picks for Best Treadmills for Seniors
- Can Seniors Use a Treadmill?
- What to Consider While Buying a Treadmill for Seniors?
- Best Treadmill for Seniors Reviews:
- 1. EXERPEUTIC TF2000 Recovery Fitness Walking Treadmill
- 2. Exerpeutic TF1000 Ultra High Capacity Walk to Fitness Electric Treadmill, 400 lbs
- 3. Folding Electric Treadmill by Merax
- 4. ProForm PFTL60916 505 CST
- 5. LifeSpan TR2000e Electric Folding Treadmill
- 6. NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models)
Can Seniors Use a Treadmill?
Seniors can always use a treadmill with some precautions and safety tips. Walking or running on the treadmill is a great way to maintain fitness and improve cardio tolerance and balance. It is also pleasant to use a treadmill for walking rather than going out for a walk because you always have nice weather at home and a smooth track to walk on all around the year.
For seniors who need to use assistive advice such as 4 wheel walker or cane seat, you may need to use the handrail at first to ensure you will not fall down. If you have any health concern, you should always consult your doctor or therapist before using the treadmill.
Here is a video of some safety tips that you should benefit from for having a safe and productive experience using the treadmill.
What to Consider While Buying a Treadmill for Seniors?
Buying a treadmill for seniors is quite different as to buying a treadmill for yourself. Seniors are mostly not interested in Bluetooth and USB features; rather they require a simple treadmill that can offer them a safe and smooth walk. Here are some features that you should consider while buying a treadmill for 60-year-old or above to offer them a safe exercise.
- Consult doctor
We have to deal with a lot of health issues with age. If you haven’t done any fitness training for a long time or have any health problems before, please ask your doctor if the treadmill walking or running is good for you.
- A Cushioned and large Belt:
Having a cushioned belt is very helpful for seniors as it is the thing which makes it easier for seniors to walk on a daily basis. It is a suspension system which reduces the joint pain and makes walking or jogging more comfortable and pleasant. Having a good belt size is also a plus point to have for seniors. Having 20 inches width of the belt is a decent size and is suitable for having a comfortable walk.
- A motor:
It is important that the treadmill has a motor as seniors cannot put in extra effort to get the belt rolling. Moreover, it is significant the treadmill embrace a motor which gets the belt moving while you can walk smoothly.
- Safety rails:
Having safety handrails is a good thing to have as it is a dramatic increase in safety measures. Elders can get a hold on the rail to get their balance. In the bathroom, seniors also need a sturdy grab bar or toilet safety rail.
Most seniors don’t go for jogging or running but having an incline be it manual or automatic is a good option to get a little challenge for them.
This is one thing that you would often consider compromising on but the fact is having good large size and a simple console is very important for seniors so they can monitor their workout.
- Heart Rate:
Monitoring heart rate during a workout is also very important. You should look out for the treadmills that monitor and maintain the heart rate to not lend yourself into any displeasing experience. If you jogging outdoor, you may need a fitness tracker, but you can measure your heart rate directly by putting your hands on the handrail.
Here you can look for some treadmill workout plans for seniors and can get maximum benefits from the time you spend on your treadmill.
Best Treadmill for Seniors Reviews:
Choosing a good treadmill is hard due to the fact that there are thousands of products in the stores. Following are the reviews of the best treadmill for seniors we picked that are available in the market.
1. EXERPEUTIC TF2000 Recovery Fitness Walking Treadmill
It is one of the best treadmills for seniors as it is specially designed considering the elderly. Seniors who need to do recovery fitness will benefit from using it.
This treadmill has a belt measuring 16” W x 50” L. It can hold up to 300 pounds. The treadmill has a low deck that is at a height of 5 inches and allows easy mounting to the elderly. It has full length 49” handrails that make it a perfect treadmill for 60-year-old and above who need to use the assistive device during their daily life.
The LCD display shows speed, distance covered, the time elapsed and calories burned besides monitoring heart rate. The speed of the treadmill starts at 0.2 miles per hour and increases at a rate of 0.1 miles per hour up to 5 miles per hour. This function is really useful for people in recovery as they can start to walk from a really low speed.
The treadmill also has 10 deck cushions that can absorb shocks and reduces the impact on joints while walking.
- It has full-length handrails to support the elderly.
- It has white dashes on the belt for identification of belt moving.
- It has extra cushion to reduce the impact on the joint.
- It has a deck at low height i.e. 5 inches.
- The safety cord is too long for some people.
2. Exerpeutic TF1000 Ultra High Capacity Walk to Fitness Electric Treadmill, 400 lbs
This is an electric treadmill from Exerpeutic ( We mentioned their recumbent exercise bike before) that can support the weight up to 400 pounds that is suitable for seniors with any shapes and sizes. The treadmill belt is 20 inches wide to let you walk on with a lot of space for feet. Even better, it also has extra-long handrails of about 18 inches for support which makes it an ideal treadmill for 60-year-old. It is foldable and can be transported from one place to another using the transportation wheels.
The treadmill has a speed adjustable up to 4 miles per hour that has increments of 0.1 miles per hour. The LCD console displays speed, the time elapsed, distance covered, calories burnt and pulse monitor. The handrails have heart pulse pads which allow you to monitor your heart rate during the exercise and also have speed control buttons to give you easy access for controlling the speed. The treadmill also has a manual incline feature and you can incline the treadmill to increase the intensity of the exercise. The two positions in which the incline can be set are 3% and 6%.
This treadmill for seniors is quite affordable and you will feel satisfied if you only need to do some basic walking exercises.
- It is super quiet. The less the speed the quieter it is.
- It has an incline feature which many treadmills don’t have. It can be inclined 3% or 6% manually.
- It has got controls on both handrails and on the consort. Handrail controls are very helpful.
- It has a compact design and takes less space on the floor.
- It is also lightweight as compared to other treadmills hence it is easy to move around.
- Manual doesn’t have all the instructions needed like heart rate and some of the other features are not explained at all as to how do they work.
- It will speed up for a few seconds before slow down.
3. Folding Electric Treadmill by Merax
This treadmill is a pretty good option if you are looking for something in a small budget. It works pretty well for the price paid for it.
It has an LCD display which monitors distance covered, the time elapsed, speed and calories burned. The treadmill also has 3 builds in auto program workouts to meet different purposes.
The best part for seniors is that it features an emergency stop key which you can attach on your cloth and stop the treadmill when any danger happens. This is a feature which the best treadmill for seniors should have.
The treadmill has a folding design which is convenient and space saving. The width of the running belt is 15 inches and the length of the running belt is 54.7 inches. The height of the treadmill is 42 inches. You can assemble it with a breeze.
However, It can only safely support up to 220 pounds which is not a choice for big and tall men.
- Low price.
- It has controls on the handrail.
- It is easy to set up.
- It is foldable and has a design that is space saving.
- It does not have a tilting position.
- It has short handrails which are a con in case of elders.
- Has only 220 lbs weight capacity.
- Narrow belt.
4. ProForm PFTL60916 505 CST
If you are looking for a treadmill with commercial moter for your loved one, this treadmill is a good option to go.
It has a track belt which measures 20” x 55” which is quite a spacious design and allows a lot of space for walking as well as running. It also has a 5” black lit display. It can support up to 325 pounds. The treadmill has a quick 0 – 10% incline positions.
The treadmill can be connected to iFit and you can activate 18 pre-programmed workouts but you still can use it if you don’t have a membership.
However, this treadmill doesn’t include a long handrail so that it is only suitable for seniors with good balance and strength.
- It has quality construction.
- It is easy to set up.
- It has a tablet holder.
- It is a sturdy treadmill.
- Pre-programmed workouts are complicated for seniors.
- You have to push the iFit button for 30 seconds to get it activated if you don’t have a membership.
- No long handrail.
5. LifeSpan TR2000e Electric Folding Treadmill
This is one of the best high-end treadmills for seniors. You can get a foldable treadmill without compromising any necessary functions.
The unique feature of this treadmill is that you can fold and unfold it automatically by pressing a single button. In this way, seniors can easily handle it without hurting hands and back.
The dimensions of this treadmill are 33” W x 70.25” L x 55” H. It can support the weight up to 300 pounds. It also has a USB port that can charge your smartphone and upload your workout results. 8 impact-absorbing compression shocks ensure seniors feel comfortable when walking for a long period of time. It also comes with a big LCD display that can show your distance, calories and heart rate. The console provides 17 work out programs for cardio training or other purposes.
In addition, the treadmill has a lifetime motor and frame warranty.
- It is very quiet.
- Power ON/OFF button is on the console which makes it easier for seniors as it is difficult to reach behind the unit to turn off.
- It is very easy to move around as it has wheels for easy transportation.
- It can be folded and unfolded with a single button press.
- A lot of workout programs to follow.
- Comfortable to walk.
- This treadmill has a slight incline even when the incline is set 0.
6. NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models)
This treadmill is a big one and hence a strong one. If you are looking for something on which you can go hard on then this is the best treadmill for seniors who are fit enough and likes to run instead of just walking slowly.
It has a walking belt of 20 inches width x 55 inches length. It can support user weight up to 300 pounds. One of the good features this treadmill has is the 10” touch LCD color display.
This treadmill has a speed which varies from 0 miles per hour to 10 miles per hour. It also has a quick control for incline from 0 – 10%. The treadmill has 20 pre-programmed workouts which you can make use of.
The product has a lifetime motor and frame warranty and a 1-year warranty for parts and labor. However, the handrail is quite short which may not fit for seniors with balance issues.
- It is very sturdy.
- It has a large and easy to read display.
- It stands strong when walking or running on it.
- It has a lifetime warranty on frame and motor.
- It is heavy and a huge treadmill which is not easy to move around.
- It is a bit complicated to set up this treadmill.
- Short handrail.
Reviewing the treadmills and considering the requirements we have come to the conclusion that the best treadmill for seniors is Exerpeutic Treadmill TF2000. It has a long handrail, safety cord, heart rate monitor and a wide belt to walk on. Additionally, it has a low deck height to make it safe for the seniors to mount on and with that, it has white dashes on the belt which indicates the movement of the belt and makes it easy for seniors to judge the pace. In short, this one treadmill is found to be specially designed for seniors so they can have a safe time walking each day.
You might find some other features more important which this treadmill does not have. Let us know about the features we missed and should be considered for a treadmill for seniors.
Last update on 2019-09-16 at 02:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Nothing on this site should be construed as medical advice. This website is for informational purposes only. Mobilitywithlove.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk and affiliated sites. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.